Our family recently discovered the book The Blessings Jar by Colleen Coble. It’s a story of a little girl who is having a miserable, grouchy day. Her wise grandmother changes the focus of her day by helping her discover God’s blessings in her life. The little girl naturally cheers up as she collects her blessings and cultivates a grateful heart.
The sweet story inspired me to create a blessings jar for my family. It had an immediate, positive effect on our interactions with each other. Just a few hours after finishing our jar, Little Miss declared she wanted to add more blessings. It sparked a deep, meaningful conversation with Bubba. We expanded the idea to send each other gratitude texts. That’s one powerful little jar!
We found a special spot in our kitchen to display our blessings jar. It serves as a physical reminder to focus on gratitude each day. We are finding ways to incorporate our blessings jar into our family routine. Anytime a family member is in a funky mood, we can remind each other to grab the blessings jar to reflect on gratitude and change the course of our day. We can add blessings whenever we feel thankful.
Want to make your own blessings jar?
Here’s what we did!
Supplies you’ll need:
- Glass jar with a lid (I reused an empty 14 oz coconut oil jar)
- Craft sticks
- Decorative duct tape or washi tape
- Thin sharpie marker
- Find a quiet moment to gather your family around the table and start a discussion about blessings and gratitude.
- Wrap a piece of tape around the top of each craft stick.
- Take turns thinking of a blessing and write them on the bottom part of each craft stick.
- Honor each blessing with a prayer of gratitude as you add it to your jar.
- Keep extra sticks handy and add blessings anytime you feel inspired. You may end up filling several blessings jars!
Research proves the benefits of gratitude and the ways it helps people of all ages create happier lives. There are countless examples of how an attitude of gratitude can improve health and wellbeing.
Thanksgiving is the perfect opportunity to introduce a blessings jar to your daily life and discover all the ways gratitude can help your family!
How does your family practice gratitude? Please share your ideas below. We are thankful for your comments!